Full Stack Web Developer
We’re looking for someone who strives to build well-engineered web solutions using modern tools and frameworks.
You’ll be building a variety of challenging solutions; we work with many of IoT projects, web portals and startups involving high volumes of data and integration.
We need someone who is a champion of good practice, who “gets” the fundamentals of software engineering. Someone who wants to exercise their skills on new projects and genuinely deliver great products to high standards.
Our goal is to build best-in-class digital products for our clients using the best technologies and practices available.
You’ll be working within a team of native mobile developers and full stack web developers.
Your Role at Pocketworks
- As a dedicated Web Developer role, you’ll be architecting and developing complex web solutions and API’s
- You’ll be working on mostly new projects and features, but also expected to help out on some recent legacy projects.
- We work primarily in Elixir, Ruby on Rails, ReactJS. Any of these would be a bonus, but above all you should feel comfortable learning these (we can help with this)
- You’ll be creating both responsive front end and back end solutions
- We accept that we’re not perfect, so you’ll be expected to help us raise the bar when it comes to engineering practices. This means supporting the team in embracing CI, TDD, BDD and clean coding
- You’ll be giving and receiving regular code reviews for all code you write.
- We’re a 12 man team, so you’ll have great influence in how we work and how things are done, with a direct line to the Managing Director who has a software engineering background
- We offer support to our clients, would be great if you can help the team with this. We can discuss in the interview.
- We’re doing Scrum, so you estimate your own work and dictate what is achievable in each sprint, with the guidance of a Scrum Master
- We take a lean startup approach to our projects, so you’ll sometimes be expected to build prototypes of ideas at speed whilst adhering to good practices.
Skills we need
- Demonstrable experience in a modern web stack such as Laravel, Rails, Phoenix or NodeJS (anything with MVC)
- Experience with TDD or BDD, and a test first approach
- Knowledge of HTTP standards, API best practices, REST, web security and authentication, basics of building scalable solutions
- Understanding of software engineering basics such as coupling, cohesion, design patterns and data structures
- Good knowledge of SQL, including complex queries
- Experience using CI such as Travis or Jenkins for automated build, test and deployment
- An appreciation of UX and UI, it’s very important to the products we build
- Comfortable joining developer meetings, daily stand-ups and regular planning meetings
- Our relaxed environment requires self-motivation and a desire to deliver continuously. Because you estimate your own work, it’s a bonus if you are confident at guesstimating work and keeping the team up to date on where you’re at
- Interest in mobile web is a bonus, many of our solutions are responsive or mobile-first
- We work primarily in Elixir, Ruby on Rails, ReactJS. Any of these would be a bonus, but above you should feel comfortable learning these (we can make time for this)
- Knowledge of DevOps including Docker, Heroku, basic server management
- Understanding scaling web apps
- Database query optimisation
- Database schema optimisation