- Leeds city centre
- On-site in Leeds only
- Permanent (sorry, we aren’t able to supply work visas)
- Expected salary, £18k-£27K (or competitive)
We are looking for a talented graduate UI designer to shape high quality, user-centric products and experiences.
Pocketworks is a mobile-first studio that creates genuinely useful digital products for clients to help them improve how people get things done. Learn more about our culture, tools and design approach.
What will I be doing?
You’ll be working with a small team of enthusiastic digital experts, creating a variety of digital products for our clients.
Your focus area is to help us build beautiful user interfaces for mobile and web, based on existing UX research and user flows. You will also have the opportunity to learn new skills in UX, design thinking, user research and user testing.
You’ll be coached by our digital product designer, who will offer guidance and feedback.
If you are keen to develop front end interfaces in React.js, HTML, CSS, Flutter or native, you can explore this tool. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to client workshops. We encourage the team to be client facing and to own their work.
What are my responsibilities?
- Execute high-quality digital designs for mobile projects
- Partner with developers in creating executions that also reflects budgetary and scheduling requirements
- Produce final UI designs with notation layers
- Produce necessary assets for interfaces
- Deliver designs backed by quantitative and qualitative research supported by UX designers, using data, validation and feedback strategies that
- Present and explain your design decisions based on fundamental principals (I.e. accessibility standards, colour theory, visual weights..)
What kind of projects will I work on?
Most of your projects will include a mobile element, usually a native mobile app and potentially a progressive web app. Many also have a web component such as a website or data visualisation dashboard.
We focus on creating products that are genuine, valuable tools for businesses. These usually enable a business to achieve a clear end goal, such as:
- A taxi booking app that increases bookings and customer
- A workforce management app that helps people communicate faster, with less effort.
- An IoT connected app that allows people to control appliances in their homes.
What skills and experience do I need?
- You will be able to take wireframes to articulation into beautifully functional UI designs.
- Experience designing beautiful, usable native mobile applications.
- Experience in designing responsive web applications and web sites.
- Experience taking a product/side project through multiple releases, based on user feedback.
- Ability to communicate clearly and often, collaborating with people to get results.
- A visual thinker, someone who enjoys explaining and exploring ideas.
What skills would be a bonus?
- Sketch and InVision, knowledge of these is a bonus.
- Product management skills – understanding the product lifecycle from ideation to continuous improvement
- Agile practices, lean or design thinking (regular releases, lightweight documentation, point estimation)
- If you have an interest in developing React, HTML and CSS, this is a bonus too.
What’s in it for me?
- You’ll work in a light, creative office space in Leeds city centre
- Some flexible working if needed
- A great variety of work for genuinely useful digital products
- See your work impact products and improve and grow over time
- Time to learn new things, and learn more UX if this interests you
- Support in advancing your own training and skills
- Guidance from our UX designer
- Never work on your birthday!
- 22 days holiday
- Free healthy breakfasts of your choice every day
- Standard pension scheme
- Regular team lunches, Friday desk beers and nights.
Sounds great, what should I do next?
Sound interesting? Please get in touch by sending your CV and links to your portfolio below.