Pocketworks is looking for a tester to help deliver successful mobile apps and digital products for its clients.
You’ll be working in one of our small teams alongside 4 individuals who have skills in user research, visual design, web development, mobile development and product management.
You're job is to help the team acheive a high quality bar release apps that are won't cause issues for users. You'll help the team achieve quality throughout the process, not just testing at the end of it.
You’ll test a portfolio of products and support the team in working with clients to take them from “client problem” to a releasable, high-quality solution.
Because we’re a small growing team operating a flat “pod” structure, you’ll have an opportunity to influence how products are tested. You need to be self-motivated, an active learner and be comfortable finding your own way (there is no boss telling you what to do!).
You’ll also have the opportunity to grow into a larger role that helps us scale testing across multiple product development teams.
Team practices and stack
We deliver native mobile apps on iOS and Android and also supporting web apps, PWA’s and APIs. From the design & discovery side, we conduct user research, data analysis, tech spikes, prototyping and user testing.
Products you'll test
You’ll test a number of products in your portfolio. We aim to take on products that we feel can succeed and which will have a significant positive impact on our client’s business. Usually, a handful is under active improvement at any given time. Some examples:
- A national taxi booking app, which is the 2nd largest in the UK outside of Uber. It has over 20,000 DAUs and generates over £50m in revenue a year.
- The rebuild of an app for people with diabetes. It is currently recommended by NHS clinics and has over 45,000 MAUs. We’re looking to grow the app revenue by 1000% and reach a larger global audience.
- An app to reduce paper forms for a fleet of 150 drivers in the waste industry, aiming to deliver over £20m in savings over 5 years.
At a high level, you’re responsible for making sure the products in your team’s portfolio are ready for release and fit for purpose
- To get involved early in the software lifecycle to understand product quality needs and project vision
- To learn about existing products and learn to test them
- To get involved in refinement and roadmapping to uncover edge cases and flesh out loose acceptance criteria
- To proactively approach product-owners, designers and developers to understand more about features under development in each sprint
- To build and maintain a suite of test cases to cover the features being developed
- To test all work done across native mobile and web. You should understand TestFlight, HockeyApp and API testing tools.
- To communicate issues and bugs clearly to the team
- To progress backlog items within JIRA so the team can see which work has passed QA
- To work within TestRails, but also experiment with new testing tools and technologies, such as Gherkin and automated testing tools.
- Support the team in taking a user-centred-design approach, helping them make progress with user research, user testing and other UX techniques.
- To bugs raised by clients or end-users
- To speak directly to clients or end-users to clarify issues and make them repeatable
- Because we’re an agency, we work on several products at once. You need to be good at coping with multiple products whilst helping us limit the number of products tested in any one sprint
- 22 days holiday + 1 day per year at Pocketworks
- Never work on your birthday
- No working over Christmas break (gifted holidays on top of 22 days)
- Regular team lunches and nights out
- Open and bright office in the centre of Leeds near restaurants and bars
- £1,000 annual training and learning budget
- Flexibility on start and end time to skip the traffic
- Occasional working from home
- You’ll receive a modern MacBook and any accessories you need
- You own your company laptop after 3 years.