Pocketworks is looking for an Android developer who loves writing clean code using best practices. Beyond that, you should be passionate about the bigger picture of building Android applications, having an interest in UX, design, backend and analytics. If you join us, we’ll help you become a well-rounded product person with skills beyond the Android SDK and Kotlin/Java.
This is an on-site role in our Leeds offices.
What does Pocketworks do?
In a nutshell, we help companies launch apps and digital platforms that help people get things done without tons of hassle. It’s about giving customers or staff a good experience to save them time.
When doing software development, we aim to create robust, clean code that can be maintained for years. It’s about finding that pragmatic balancing point between best practice and speed.
What technologies will I use at Pocketworks?
- Most of our apps are native mobile apps.
- We use the latest Swift for iOS and Kotlin for Android.
- Some legacy projects have Objective-C (iOS) and Java (Android) code.
- Our backends are written using Phoenix/Ruby on Rails, while the frontends tend to use VueJs/React.
- We use CircleCI for Continuous Integration.
- We use Fastlane for iOS builds.
What kinds of projects will I be working on?
Our mission is to find challenging projects that genuinely help our clients improve their businesses. Some recent examples include:
- Mobile apps for use in a warehouse environment for configuring racking impact sensors
- An app to allow yacht owners to control their underwater lighting
- A smart-home app for controlling appliances
- A booking app for a UK-wide taxi firm with 74,000 DAU’s.
- A booking app for a popular hotel chain
- Apps to streamline how construction companies work
What kinds of work will I be doing day to day?
- Developing native Android apps from scratch using the Android SDK and Kotlin
- Adding features to existing Android apps
- Helping the design team in idea sessions and feasibility
- Peer reviewing the work of other team members
- Educating others about the latest advances in Android
- Attending the daily standup (we’re a scrum shop)
- Mentoring apprentices
- Helping shape the future of the business
What skills might I need to demonstrate during our chats/interviews?
- Good knowledge of the Android SDK
- Handling multiple screen sizes/densities
- Android Jetpack
- MV* Architectures, we prefer MVI
- Writing clean and maintainable (testable) code
- Integrating with REST APIs
- Network and data caching
- RF-based protocols like NFC, BLE
- App distribution via HockeyApp
- Publishing apps to Google Play
- Enterprise app development and distribution
What is the culture like?
It’s positive, relaxed, with a focus on getting good work done. We’re a very sociable and close-knit team of 16 people. We often go out for lunch and evening beers together, some days we have desk beers 🙂 We speak candidly to each other, not much bulls**t. We value honesty and transparency, very little information is hidden from anyone.
What is the package?
- 22 days holiday + 1 day per year at Pocketworks
- Never work on your birthday
- No working over Christmas break (gifted holidays on top of 22 days)
- Regular team lunches and nights out
- Open and bright office in the centre of Leeds near restaurants and bars
- £1,000 annual training and learning budget
- Flexibility on start and end time to skip the traffic
- Occasional working from home
- You’ll receive a modern MacBook and any accessories you need
- You own your company laptop after 3 years.