Pocketworks is looking for a remote-first Android Developer to help us create well architected native apps for our clients. Immediate start if you can, otherwise we'll wait for you.
You will also be learning and using Flutter, which is one of the fastest growing mobile frameworks for cross-platform development.
Because you'll be have to work on complex apps and collaborate closely with clients, we suggest you have about 3+ years of industry experience if you want to apply.
This is a remote-first role for UK and European residents only. We have team mates who travel frequently, working from UK, Slovakia, Italy and Spain. Learn how we're committed to remote-first working.
Freelancers welcome if you are looking for a long-term gig that brings the benefits of a permanent role.
You will be working alongside a small team of other developers, designers and testers. We're a close team, so you'll also find Pocketworks to be a collaborative place where people are happy to jump in and help when you need it.
You'll enjoy working with us if you care about some/all of these things:
- Clean code that is well structured with nice separation of concerns
- High quality mobile user interfaces to native guideline standards
- Writing unit tests in a pragmatic way to speed up refactoring and development
- Demoing working software every week or two
- Interest in product stuff - back-end dev, UX, design, marketing or analytics
- Working closely with clients, caring enough to ask questions and challenge
- Working with a truly self-organising team that is transparent and flat in structure
- Being involved in user research, front-end dev or product management. Many of the team have broad expertise.
What is the package?
- Freelancers welcome (long term, with these benefits)
- Work wherever you want (home, office, coffee shop, beach etc)
- Remote role
- If you would like, you can work from our open and bright office in the centre of Leeds near restaurants and bars.
- 23 - 28 days holiday
- 22 days holiday + 1 day per year at Pocketworks
- Never work on your birthday
- No working over Christmas (2-5 days additional gifted holidays)
- It's hard to socialise right now, but we used to do a lot of lunches & beers
- £1,000 annual training and learning budget
- You’ll receive a modern MacBook and any accessories you need
- You own your company laptop after 3 years.
- Discretional bonuses given
What is the process?
This process should take 5-10 days.
- 20 minute non-technical Telephone interview
- 1.5 hour interview over video covering questions around experience, tech and your view on things. You can ask questions too.
- If we both feel it's a good fit, we'll make you an offer
- Start immediately, or as soon as you're ready
Note: If we missed anything, we may request a second interview
What does Pocketworks do?
In a nutshell, we help companies launch apps and digital platforms that give customers and employees a better experience. We usually have 4-7 app products that we're working on at any time. Some last 3-6 months, others are under continuous development.
When doing software development, we aim to create robust, clean code that can be maintained for years. It’s about finding that pragmatic balancing point between best practice and speed.
What is the culture like?
It’s positive, relaxed, with a focus on getting good work done. We’re a very sociable and close-knit team of 12 people. We like short meetings that focus on getting stuff done. There is barely any heirarchy here, the team are all very responsible and just crack on with stuff. We speak candidly to each other, not much bulls**t. We value honesty and transparency, very little information is hidden from anyone.
What kinds of projects will I be working on?
Our mission is to find challenging projects that genuinely help our clients improve their businesses. Some recent examples include:
- Mobile apps for use in a warehouse environment for configuring racking impact sensors
- An app to allow yacht owners to control their underwater lighting
- A smart-home app for controlling appliances
- A booking app for a UK-wide taxi firm with 74,000 DAU’s.
- A booking app for a popular hotel chain
- Apps to streamline how construction companies work
What kinds of work will I be doing day to day?
- Developing native Android apps from scratch using the Android SDK, Kotlin or Flutter
- Adding features to existing Android apps
- Helping the design team in idea sessions and feasibility
- Peer reviewing the work of other team members
- Educating others about the latest advances in Android
- Attending the daily standup
- Helping shape the future of the business
What skills might I need to demonstrate during our chats/interviews?
- Flutter (or keen to learn)
- Good knowledge of the Android SDK
- Handling multiple screen sizes/densities
- Android Jetpack
- MV* Architectures, we prefer MVI
- Writing clean and maintainable (testable) code
- Integrating with REST APIs
- Network and data caching
- RF-based protocols like NFC, BLE
- App distribution via HockeyApp
- Publishing apps to Google Play
- Enterprise app development and distribution